Garage Conversion Ideas
Now that California has made garage conversions easier than ever by eliminating a lot of the bureaucratic complexity and red tape, the question for many homeowners is, “What do I convert my garage into?” The answer is, anything you want, as long as it can fit into a single room.
One of the reasons why the California government eased up on the rules regarding garage conversions is that they hoped that it would offer a solution to the state’s housing crisis. The garage can be converted into a guest home that the owner can rent out to people looking for affordable housing. However, there are a lot of different types of garage conversion and Pacific Green Homes can help with any kind of room that homeowners can imagine.
Some of the Different Kinds of Garage Conversions
A garage conversion is a rewarding experience but it can also be very labour intensive, which is why it is best left to the professionals. The time and cost of the conversion vary based on what the room is being converted into. However, that time and money invested can help to increase the value of the home since more rooms are always desirable. Just be certain that there is a place on the property to park a vehicle, because that is a necessary requirement of a garage conversion.
Guest Home Garage Conversion
As stated above, one of the more common garage conversions is a guest house or extra room. This can be rented out, used as a place for friends and family to stay, or even both. However, this is one of the more involved, expensive and, time intensive conversions; the reason is that utilities like plumbing, electricity, and HVAC have to be routed into the new room.
- Additional room can generate money if it is rented out
- An extra room adds value to the home
- It can serve as a place to stay when friends and/or family drop by unexpectedly
- Converting the garage and furnishing it can be expensive
- Adding electricity, plumbing, and HVAC can result in a higher utility bill
Home Office Garage Conversion
If you are interested in a more personal, private, and productive space, then a home office is a good garage conversion idea. The new work space can be a writer’s retreat, art studio, or regular office. It is great for freelancers, remote employees, or people who own their own business. An office needs fewer utilities than a guest home, so the conversion is less expensive and time-consuming. Chances are, the homeowner will already have the supplies necessary for conversion, so they just have to be moved into the new space.
- Fewer utilities needed = less time and money spent
- Can be converted into any type of work space
- Homeowner likely already owns most of the furnishings and accessories needed
- It can get lonely without any face to face human interaction
- It is easier to get distracted at home
A Family Playroom
This is a great choice for families with young children because it gives the kids a safe, supervised area where they can have fun. The types of fun and games that can be added to the room is limited by the size of the garage, but there is still a lot that can be done with this type of conversion. Climbing ropes, rock walls, and more can be added to create a fun area for the kids while keeping them under your nose.
- Safe, accessible area for the kids
- The kids are always under the homeowner’s watch, so safety concerns are mitigated
- Relatively low-cost conversion since fewer utilities are needed
- It is not a versatile space
- Once the kids have grown up, it will need to be converted into something else
Everyone knows about the importance of staying in shape, but not everyone has the time to do so; or, maybe a person might have the time but is reluctant to pay for an expensive gym membership. A home gym solves both of those problems since most two car garages are large enough to hold a wide variety of gym equipment.
Said equipment does not have to be expensive, or extremely advanced; you can start out with simple weight equipment and punching bags, and eventually add machines like treadmills or stair climbers. A gym conversion requires very little in the way of utilities so it is not as expensive as other conversions. The money saved can then be spent on the equipment necessary for the gym.
- Simple, relatively inexpensive conversion
- It is a good way to stay healthy
- Accessible gym makes it easier to work out regularly
- You might not have all the equipment you need right away
- Acquiring that equipment could be costly
Enjoy the movies without worrying about parking or overpriced snacks with your very own home cinema. This is not a particularly expensive conversion since fewer utilities need to be used and the furnishings do not have to be expensive. A few couches and some comfortable chairs are all that’s needed. Plus you can bring your own food without worrying about hiding it from an usher. The home cinema conversion can be versatile since it can also be used for watching television or playing video games, two things that cannot be done at a regular movie theatre.
- Simple, easy conversion
- No need to buy overpriced snacks
- It can be a versatile, multi-purpose space
- You may need to buy a large TV or projector system and advanced audio equipment
- You need a large movie collection to make it viable
Choose The Garage Conversion That is Right For You
With all of the possible garage conversions available, it should not be too difficult to find one that suits your lifestyle. Whether you have a big family, need a place to focus, or need somewhere to work out regularly, there is a type of garage conversion for you. Once you have decided on the type of conversion you want, contact Pacific Green Homes and we will make it happen.