Custom Home Builders in Los Angeles
Are you ready to bring your dream home to life? If the answer to that question is yes, then consulting with Pacific Green Homes is the next step. We can help you with every step of the process, from finding the right lot, to the design, to the construction.
No matter how modest or how ambitious your home design dreams are, we can help you bring them to fruition. A simple consultation with us is the first step in your new home construction. Los Angeles is a great place to build a home because of all the opportunities available to aspiring homeowners. This guide walks you through the steps required to build your perfect home.
Finding the Right Lot
There is a lot of empty land available in Los Angeles, but there are steps you need to take before you find the perfect open lot and before you start building.
Do The Right Research
Once you find a piece of land, you need to find out whether it is possible to build on that land at all. You will need to conduct a detailed analysis of the land and its geological foundation. You can do this by meeting with city agencies, utility companies, and neighborhood councils.
Chances are, you will not be the first person to inquire about this property; this can mean nothing, or it can mean that the land has a utility line beneath it, or is in a wildfire or landslide zone.
Be Careful About Sloped Land
There are a lot of empty lots in Los Angeles, but many of them are located on sloped land. This can pose challenges that increase the cost of construction, such as the following:
- Increased foundation costs
- Extra sewer and drainage requirements
- Retaining walls
The cost varies when building on sloped land, so make sure to do a detailed consultation if that is what you are planning to do.
Ground-breaking Can Take Some Time
The reason is that obtaining reviews and permits can take up to two years. There are people called expediters who can hasten the process, so you should think about hiring one if you want to start your new home construction as soon as possible.
Consider Land That is Shovel-ready
Shovel-ready—or permit ready—means that the often byzantine review and permitting processes have already been completed. However, shovel-ready land comes at a premium, it can add up to $100,000 to the cost of the property.
The Cost of Building a Custom Home in Los Angeles
The costs of custom home construction can vary widely, it can go from $350,000 on the low end to over $1,000,000 on the high end. There are a lot of different variables that factor into the cost of construction.
- Preparing the land – Excavation work is often necessary before construction can begin.
- The size of the home – Needless to say, larger homes cost more, this includes higher labor costs. Additional stories also require extra work, which increases expenses.
- Material and machine costs – Most construction companies have all the equipment necessary for home construction. However, specialized equipment needs to be rented in certain circumstances, such as building on sloped or rocky land.
- Labor costs – this includes the following:
- Preparing the foundation
- Framing and other metal work
- Exterior finishing, such as the walls and roofs
- Electrical, plumbing, and HVAC installation
- Interior finishing, such as drywall, insulation, flooring, and more
- Landscaping like lawn installation and tree planting
- The type of roof – Certain roof types, like tile or slate, may need extra reinforcement to support their weight.
- Finishes – The type of material used in finishes like kitchen countertops or floors affects the overall construction costs.
- Extra features – These can include fountains, pools, widow’s walks, or large decks. They can be expensive, but they do add to the home’s value.
- Appliances – Installing appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, and dishwashers add to the cost of construction.
Custom Home Design Checklist
The following checklist will help you keep the entire custom home process in the proper order:
- Create a suitable budget.
- Find the right plot of land.
- Hire the right people for the designing and building of your home.
- Select the right construction method for your land.
- Consult with the professionals about the building plans and designs.
- Obtain the necessary paperwork.
- Purchase home construction insurance.
- Begin construction.
- Book a final inspection of your home.
- Complete landscaping, corrections, and other small details.
We Will Help You Build Your Dream Home
Building a custom home in Los Angeles is a big job, but Pacific Green Homes has years of experience building quality homes. We will use that experience to help you build the perfect home for you regardless of your budget. Consult us to get your custom home started—and finished—as soon as possible.
- Floor Plans in Los Angeles
- Construction Materials Los Angeles
- Architectural Trends Los Angeles
- How to Choose Vacant Land Near Los Angeles
- Condo Remodeling
- Patio Installation
- Green Home Improvements
- Residential Painting
- Pool Remodeling
- Los Angeles County Building Codes
- Earthquake Building Codes
- How Much Does It Cost To Build a House In Los Angeles?
- Foundation Repair Los Angeles