Basement Remodeling in Los Angeles
If you’re like a lot of Los Angeles homeowners, your basement is a place where you store everything that doesn’t have anywhere else to go in your home. After a few years of accumulation, you may dread going down there and navigating the piles of boxes and discarded exercise equipment. On the other hand, there are numerous possibilities for alternative uses for this space. In any case, when you are ready to undergo a basement remodeling in Los Angeles, contact Pacific Green Homes. We’ll work with you every step of the way to bring your ideal basement to life and have you enjoying every inch of your home!
First Things First: What Do You Need Your Basement For?
Deciding how you will use your basement should be the first step when planning a basement remodeling in Los Angeles. Once you know this, it will determine how you approach the design. Yet, since basement real estate is limited, you might have to be prepared to make compromises.
You may be dreaming of a home gym, guest bedroom or office, but if your budget or space is tight, you’ll have to prioritize the best use of space.
If your priority is a media room, here are some tips to consider:
- Don’t place viewing screens near a window
- Don’t sweat the low ceilings. You’ll mostly be seated when you are there.
- Create platform seating to increase visibility with the second row of seats raised up behind the first. The platform won’t add much to the budget.
- If you love sound and video, consult a home theater expert for speaker placement and correct distances from seating.
- Insulate the walls to reduce sound.
If your first priority is a home gym, here are some tips to consider:
- Be careful if your basement has a lower ceiling or soffit because your exercise equipment may not fit.
- Make sure the fitness equipment can come down the stairs. If it’s welded together and your stairs make a 90-degree turn, it will never rest on your basement floor.
- Make sure you have the proper ceiling clearance. Measure the equipment’s height with you on it.
If you can’t live without a home office, think about this:
- A home office might be the same size as a bedroom, and if you add a closet, it actually becomes a bedroom according to code and you will need to add an egress window.
- Since home offices don’t have the same privacy needs as a bedroom, install a set of French doors to maximize light and keep a feeling of openness.
Guest bedrooms have their special requirements according to building code standards:
- For it to be a bedroom it needs to have a finished closet.
- If you have a bedroom in the basement, you must have an egress window no more than 44 inches off the ground. You can create a step up or enlarge the window if necessary to meet code.
- If you install a shower there needs to be enough ceiling clearance to lift your arms without hitting anything, and you need a fan to exhaust to the outside.
Bar and Wine Cellar
- Whether you want a bar or a wine cellar, consider that they may run you as much as a kitchen without appliances
- If you don’t need the full bar, put in a horizontal bank of cabinets and add a fridge.
Hiring a general basement contractor for this type of project is important to ensure that the right permits are procured and all components meet code. At Pacific Green Homes we will work with you to give you the basement of your dreams and we will ensure that the journey is just as satisfying as the final destination. Whatever your needs, we will create the best basement for your home that will leave you loving it as much as the rest of your home.
- Skylight Installers
- Home Gym
- Home Work Office
- Living Room Remodeling
- Ceiling Design
- Kids Playroom
- Custom Wine Cellars
Our Home Remodeling Projects
- Home Remodeling in Ventura
- Home Remodeling Contractors in Oak Park
- Home Remodeling in West Hollywood
- Home Remodeling in Los Angeles
- Revitalize Your Space With Home Remodeling in Los Angeles
- Bring Your Home to Life with Home Remodeling in Los Angeles
- Home Remodeling Contractor in Los Angeles
- Home Remodeling in Los Angeles